12 Dec The 2015 SpeakerBox Holiday Party
My neighbor said to me last week, “Ugh, I need to find a way to get out of my work’s holiday party next week.” And, it’s crazy to me how many people feel that same way. They’d rather do absolutely anything than spend an evening schmoozing with the same people they see day in and day out at the office. My husband has said the same thing for years and rarely would attend events that were held outside of work. I think I can safely call him out, as he is with a new company this year and I don’t believe they have had or are having a holiday party. (If they already have, he didn’t tell me about it and obviously didn’t attend, which puts me in an even more awkward situation if they read this. But, for the sake of proving my point, I’ll take the chance.)
Something I’m grateful for year after year working at SpeakerBox, is that I don’t feel that way in the least. Our holiday party is something we all get incredibly excited about each and every year! Let me tell you why…
Prepare yourself for the SpeakerBox love fest I’m about delight you with: Company culture is part of the reason I started here almost 5 years ago and why I plan to continue my career with SpeakerBox as long as they’ll have me or until uncontrollable circumstances pry us from each others arms. Yes, the happy hours, the baseball games, the competitive in-office tournaments of anything with a winner, cook-offs, etc. are awesome. But, the main reason that sets SpeakerBox apart from the holiday party haters I mentioned above is that everyone I work with is genuinely an awesome human being.
That isn’t a coincidence. It’s a requirement for our hiring process. The people we work with not only are qualified, passionate about PR and incredibly smart, but they also give a crap. They care about their clients, their quality of work, and also their fellow colleagues. It’s pretty awesome.
But back to the party. This year’s SpeakerBox Holiday Extravaganza took place on Friday, December 4. For as long as I can remember it has been the first Friday of December. I know what you’re thinking, “If it was a week ago, why are you just posting this now?” Well, I had to make sure I heard all of the great stories from the party before I shared them with you…
Did any of my co-workers just panic trying to remember if they were a part of anything they wouldn’t want me to share?? I hope so – but, just kidding. I can’t tell those stories. This post is rated G.
The real reason I haven’t written until now is because I finally sobered up from the party.
Also, Kidding! Truthfully, I was just waiting for the photographer to get back to me with the photos! Aside from having a photographer document this spectacular evening, other highlights included:
- Eating and Drinking. We love to eat and drink. There was a lot of food. And even more drink.
- Gambling. Fake gambling, if you will. This year we had two black jack tables, a poker table and roulette! There was a winner I think, but I drank too much wine to even know who that was.
- Elfster Gift Exchange. All year long, people take notes about others in the office for this event. This is basically secret Santa, but hilarious. During this exchange, whoever drew your name resurfaces all the things you wish we’d forgotten over the past year and presents you with gifts that relate to those incidents.
- One Team Award Presentation. One of us win’s a crap ton of cash. The cool thing about this, besides the cash, is that the winner is chosen based on peer recognition throughout the year. We give each other One Team Awards anytime someone goes above and beyond in their role to make the client happy or help a coworker out – and whoever has the most at the end of the year wins the prize.
- After Partying. With respect for my colleagues. I shall not share any information about the after party. I was too old to make it out for this. But, I heard it was a lot of fun!
Hope you enjoyed the little recap of what was another awesome holiday party on the books! We hope you all have an amazing holiday and even better 2016!