16 Sep DC’s Coolest Companies Were Crowned at DC Fest 2015
The SpeakerBox team was out in full force last night for DC Inno’s DC Fest. Each year,DC Inno closes out the summer by bringing the coolest and most innovating companies together to celebrate all that makes them the best companies to work for. The festival supplied live music, food trucks, summer cocktails, and lawn games.
The competition shines a light on the most fun and interesting perks companies are offering their employees for returned hard work and dedication. Nominations were collected for coolest companies earlier this summer and for the first time this year DC Inno added a Reader’s Choice component. Readers votes were used to select two winners from the finalists’ pool. The top 100 finalists (including our very own SpeakerBox) were announced on August 11th and ten winners were crowned at last night’s event.
My fellow SpeakerBoxers and I enjoyed music from The DCeivers, playing corn hole, and eating all the food from the food trucks. The festival had three food trucks on hand:
- DC Pollo – The truck dished delicious Peruvian rotisserie chicken, tacos and burritos all evening.
- Chix N Stix– Serving up killer fries (flavors included beer, jalapeno nacho, old bay and parmesan garlic) and even better wings.
- DC Slices – DC’s hottest mobile pizza kitchen brought fresh rolled dough for its cheese, pepperoni and buffalo chicken pies.
This year’s winners with descriptions from their DC Inno submission include:
- Aspire – “We’re all about the perks, as a perk company. Once a month, our team gets to choose individual perks — meals delivered, laundry taken care of, or yoga classes added to our schedule.”
- Brightfind – A “digital design and web development agency hosts every Wednesday afternoon an event dubbed, ‘Beer:30,’ tasting local brews from all 50 states in the order in which they came into the union.”
- Capterra – Half of their “monthly company meetings involve a team trivia contest where the The Capterran with the most points at the end of the year gets “The Capterra Scholar Cup,” a 3.5’ trophy.”
- Clarabridge – “Clarabridge has a health-focused culture, and a walk around our office shows it. Treadmill desks and sit/stand desks for all employees, exercise balls a-plenty, in-office yoga and gym, and free fresh fruit and smoothies represent the company’s commitment to a fit workforce and make it easier for people to fit healthy choices into their lives.”
- LMO Advertising – “In an office full of creatives, it is no surprise that something out of the ordinary happens almost every day at LMO. This can be as unexpected as a remote-controlled helicopter flying over your desk, a heated Ping-Pong tournament with co-workers, or a Google Glass experiment with a client.”
- Optoro Inc. – “We have four major parties every year. Optorofest and BLINQo de Mayo are the two that are open to all staff as well as the larger D.C. start-up community and our friends and family. Those parties always boast great food and music, and an awesome time is had by all!”
- TrackMaven – “Offers its team to stretch it out with free weekly yoga class, an on-campus exercise room with locker rooms and towel service. They’re even staying fit as they work at their standing desks!”
- VideoBlocks – “If our office is any indication, yoga hammocks will soon replace chairs as the preferred hardware for sitting, and conference rooms will increasingly give way to Ping-Pong rooms.”
- 2U (Reader’s Choice Winner)– “Offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places: we wear jeans to work, we fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and soda, and we blow off steam playing video games.”
- Everfi (Reader’s Choice Winner)– “An education start-up, keeps up office traditions by hosting bi-annual company retreats, called Paloozas. This summer, they’re bringing the party down to Clarksdale, Mississippi!”
Congrats to the 2015 winners!